The Crafty Cow Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Easter Sunday 31st March 2013
OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw.. EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 11:39 pm by Marion

» Happy Birthday Craftworker
OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw.. EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 8:44 pm by Craftworker

» Tuesday 17h
OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw.. EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 4:21 pm by topgran

» Monday 16th July
OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw.. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 12:35 pm by topgran

» Happy Birthday Lady of Kent
OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw.. EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 9:31 am by cubbie66

» 2nd time lucky
OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw.. EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:33 pm by topgran

» Im stopping with the birthday club
OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw.. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 2:44 pm by Andrea

» Im stopping with the birthday club
OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw.. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 2:42 pm by Andrea

» Sunday
OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw.. EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 3:07 pm by poppytree

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw..

+3
tuftytwo
Christine
arubberstamper
7 posters

Go down

OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw.. Empty OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw..

Post  arubberstamper Fri May 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Hi Everyone,
I've been watching this show called "Tudors" here , it's on the Showtime channel. I love the show and interesting about the King Henry the Eighth. I saw a show on the Smithsonian Channel. They showed a birds eye view from the sky all the the Tudor period of the all the castles there in in England. I was so impressed and so interested in the Castles. I find it fascinating. Has or does anyone live in these areas and have gone to see these castles?
Did you find any of them and the history fascinating? I swear, if Hubby and I ever get rich and have the money, I would love to come over to England and explore the castles.
Stamping Hugs
Robin
arubberstamper
arubberstamper
New Moo
New Moo

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-07-05

http://www.picturetrail.com/moorestuff

Back to top Go down

OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw.. Empty Re: OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw..

Post  Christine Fri May 15, 2009 9:17 pm

I don't think I've watched that particular show, but Henry VIII is probably the most colourful monarch in our history, and both he and his daughter (Elizabeth 1st) are often featured in historical programmes.

If ever you make it to the UK you'll find ample castles to look over, we're not short of castles here, although some aren't really most people's idea of a castle. You should ask Jenny, she probably lives in one, there are lots in Wales! When our children were younger and we first took them to Wales they loved the castles, we couldn't get them away. They wanted to go round and round, we all slept well every night!
Christine
Christine
Moo'ette
Moo'ette

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw.. Empty Re: OT: Tudors... Does anyone watch this...Love the show and saw..

Post  tuftytwo Fri May 15, 2009 9:42 pm

I have watched both series of the Tudors - great fun but not very historically accurate.
We are spoiled rotten for castles here and there is sure to one near everybody on the forum. Lewes castle is quite near me and is a fabulous looking one, associated with Henry, also Bodiam castle and Arundel castle.
Wales has stunning 'real' castles with battlements etc unlike Hampton Court near London which is really a huge house.
Glad you are enjoying the show - it is well worth watching!
Pam xxx
tuftytwo
tuftytwo
New Moo
New Moo

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  arubberstamper Sat May 16, 2009 12:11 am

You guys over there do have some interesting history. I know they show is not telling everything and just touches on the high points, but I do love the show. It's when I saw the other show from the sky view and what all the explained about the castles and stuff, it's just darn interesting to me. Very Happy My dh said "when they chopped off the heads and or hung someone back in those day and the town's people looked on it's just makes us think... If they did that now a days here to people who have taken lifes and are in prison for life... It sure would save tax payers money for keeping the killers in jail. And if the public got to see this, maybe the criminals would think differently. Who knows.

I just think King Henry VIII and his wives are so fascinating. But beheading a women... Now I just couldn't believe that would actually happen.
And the man playing King Henry VIII isn't to bad on the eyes either... lol! You bet, if we had the money, I would be all over England checking the castles out.
Is the Queen of England related in anyway to that era of history? They also said that there were a family that still lived in one of the castles ...ancestors of 400 yrs. passed down to them? I wish I could remember what castle that was that the program said.
Thanks for all your input, I think this is interesting.
Robin
arubberstamper
arubberstamper
New Moo
New Moo

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine Sun May 17, 2009 2:58 pm

I'm a bit wobbly on castles, I think we take our history for granted, and the castles are just there, but this looks like a decent website if you want to take a look: http://www.englishmonarchs.co.uk/windsor_castle.html.

Yes, our current queen can trace her roots back to old Henry, although it isn't a straight line. For instance Queen Elizabeth 1st was childless, so on her death the son of her late cousin, Mary Queen of Scots, became king of England as well as Scotland. He was England's James 1st, and I think James V11 of Scotland.

Have fun, we have lots of history to keep you occupied if you're interested! Very Happy
Christine
Christine
Moo'ette
Moo'ette

Back to top Go down

Post  lexiecraft Sun May 17, 2009 9:56 pm

I love history and love old churches.We are lucky to have lots of old castles to wander around.Enjoy xxx Very Happy
lexiecraft
lexiecraft
Milk Shaker
Milk Shaker

Number of posts : 3013
Registration date : 2009-04-01

http://lexie-lexieslife.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  craftymumof3 Sun May 17, 2009 11:58 pm

I grew up not far from Windsor castle and my Grandad was born in the castle as my Great Grandad looked after the carriages for Queen Victoria. My other Great Grandad was a castle fireman.
Every holiday as a child my Nan and Grandad would take me and my sister to the castle to see the changing of the Guard and to look around the Castle
Even now most holidays I still go there to look round as my 3 are fascinated with the Dolls house and all the castle rooms and they love watching the Changing of the Guard too Smile
craftymumof3
craftymumof3
Mega-Mooer
Mega-Mooer

Number of posts : 4747
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  arubberstamper Mon May 18, 2009 1:51 am

Thanks for all of you posting about this era... I am so enjoying it.
Christine, I tried that link and I keep getting an "error" message.
Thanks again everyone for interesting reads.
Stamping Hugs
Robin
arubberstamper
arubberstamper
New Moo
New Moo

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine Mon May 18, 2009 2:02 am

Hi

Perhaps just this will work, http://www.englishmonarchs.co.uk and you can choose which page you want to go for. Happy hunting.
Christine
Christine
Moo'ette
Moo'ette

Back to top Go down

Post  lexiecraft Mon May 18, 2009 2:26 pm

What a fantastic claim to fame , and having connections to Winsor castle , hope you have done a scrap book on that , it would be so intresting. lexie x Very Happy
lexiecraft
lexiecraft
Milk Shaker
Milk Shaker

Back to top Go down

Post  cubbie66 Mon May 18, 2009 5:34 pm

Mike and myself got English Heritage membership a few years ago and we have more than got our monies worth from it, if we are a bit skint we can always jump in the car and go to Dover, Deal or Walmer castle even if it's only for a walk around the grounds Smile
cubbie66
cubbie66
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 6867

http://pic6.piczo.com/CubbiesCards?g=51112081

Back to top Go down

Post  lexiecraft Tue May 19, 2009 11:33 am

Some times we don't realise how lucky we are having such fantastic history , even within our families . We should all try and enjoy it more ! Very Happy
lexiecraft
lexiecraft
Milk Shaker
Milk Shaker

Back to top Go down

Post  poppytree Tue May 19, 2009 1:27 pm

We do the same with NT. There are lots of properties and NT land near us (not many English Heritage though sadly)
Must try to get to the Isabella Plantation in Richmond Park before all the rhodedendrons are over.
poppytree
poppytree
Queen of the Dairy
Queen of the Dairy

Number of posts : 7172

http://jtct-jane.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cubbie66 Wed May 20, 2009 1:38 am

That's why we went with EH Jane more of them around this way Smile
cubbie66
cubbie66
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 6867

http://pic6.piczo.com/CubbiesCards?g=51112081

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down